Our Research Model
By working together, we reduce redundant efforts, identify the most promising biological targets, and prioritize the best compounds for optimization.
The standard non-collaborative discovery model has not been particularly fruitful. Relatively few new drugs have been launched over the last 50+ years and there are no new first-line regimens.
We employ the following discovery paradigms:
- Phenotypic screening followed by target ID
- Target based screening
- Virtual Screening
- Information based
- Known antibacterial drugs
- Natural products with antibiotic activity
- Compounds with activity against orthologs
Collaboration and Teamwork
The TBDA is a new paradigm for drug discovery and offers an approach that addresses many of the bottlenecks in the way TB drugs are currently discovered.
How We Work
We are currently focusing on nine areas which we believe will contribute to improved therapies and regimens, they are:
- Chemical diversity
- Phenotypic screening
- Target essentiality and vulnerability
- Genetically modified whole-cell activity (hypomorphs)
- Metabolic impact
- Diverse animal models
- Mimicking different compartment with multiple conditions (e.g. pulmonary lesions)
- Lesion and Mtb PK/PD
- Combination prioritization (in vitro and in vivo)
Member organizations are a mix of academic institutions, pharma and biotech companies, research institutes and product development partners.