Updating and curating metabolic pathways of TB.

Tuberculosis (Edinburgh, Scotland), Volume: 93, Issue: 1
January 1, 2013
Richard A Slayden RA, Mary Jackson M, Jeremy Zucker J, Melissa V Ramirez MV, Clinton C Dawson CC, Rebecca Crew R, Nicole S Sampson NS, Suzanne T Thomas ST, Neema Jamshidi N, Peter Sisk P, Ron Caspi R, Dean C Crick DC, Michael R McNeil MR, Martin S Pavelka MS, Michael Niederweis M, Axel Siroy A, Valentina Dona V, Johnjoe McFadden J, Helena Boshoff H, Jocelyne M Lew JM

The sequencing of complete genomes has accelerated biomedical research by providing information about the overall coding capacity of bacterial chromosomes. The original TB annotation resulted in putative functional assignment of ∼60% of the genes to specific metabolic functions, however, the other 40% of the encoded ORFs where annotated as conserved hypothetical proteins, hypothetical proteins or encoding proteins of unknown function. The TB research community is now at the beginning of the next phases of post-genomics; namely reannotation and functional characterization by targeted experimentation. Arguably, this is the most significant time for basic microbiology in recent history. To foster basic TB research, the Tuberculosis Community Annotation Project (TBCAP) jamboree exercise began the reannotation effort by providing additional information for previous annotations, and refining and substantiating the functional assignment of ORFs and genes within metabolic pathways. The overall goal of the TBCAP 2012 exercise was to gather and compile various data types and use this information with oversight from the scientific community to provide additional information to support the functional annotations of encoding genes. Another objective of this effort was to standardize the publicly accessible Mycobacterium tuberculosis reference sequence and its annotation. The greatest benefit of functional annotation information of genome sequence is that it fuels TB research for drug discovery, diagnostics, vaccine development and epidemiology.

Courtesy of the U.S. National Library of Medicine